Vegan dog treats: links and recipes
Hey animal lovers! So, vegan dog treats- that’s a weird post, right? Well, maybe, but seeing as I already fall into the category of whack vegan I may as well go all out. And so I present to you…
Vegan dog treats!
Hollaaaa. I don’t know about you but even before becoming vegan, when I thought you needed to eat meat like 4 times a day to be healthy, I was seriously grossed out by the dried pigs’ ears that pet shops sell as dog treats.
I never really thought anything about giving dogs bones to eat; after all, they were just a by-product of the meat industry, right?
Well, since becoming vegan I’ve learned a fair bit about the meat industry and it’s not pretty. Which leads me to think that if we can make our furry friends some delicious treats without harming other animals (cos that’s kind of ironic, right?) then all the better for everyone! (I am not providing animal care or medical advice; please speak to your vet and do your own research before changing your pet’s diet. For more information on feeding animals plant-based food click here).
Here are some of the best vegan dog treats that I’ve found online; you can either order through the links or make your own with the recipes below! Enjoy. (I mean, don’t, but I hope your dog enjoys!)
Store-bought vegan dog treats (available online):
- The Vdog Veggie Chew– this rice-based chew is made with hints of peppermint and parsley, meaning that your pooch gets a sophisticated, delicious-tasting chew and hopefully a bit of breath freshness in one! This chew has no animal products and no artificial flavours or colours (these dogs eat better than I do!)
2. Benevo Rumble Strips Dog Treats– made from just three wholesome plant-based ingredients, the Benevo Rumble Strips can be given whole or cut into pieces according to your dog’s size. Made from GMO-free ingredients with vegetable extracts for a hearty taste.
3. CC Bear Wellbeing Biscuits– for seriously trendy dogs, these biscuits are made lovingly with organic coconut oil and gram flour, as well as seaweed and spice extracts. The spices in these biscuits have anti-inflammatory properties to support your canine friend’s overall wellbeing.
4. Healthy Paws Fruit Cookie Treats– Is it me or do these sound good enough to eat? Like, with a cuppa? These scrummy treats are made with apples, pears and bananas; great for dogs’ digestive efficiency.
5. CC Bear ‘Skin Soothe’ dog biscuits– if your furry friend loves peanut butter or needs a little skin TLC, these tick the boxes. Made with organic ingredients specifically chosen to promote skin wellbeing, these CC Bear cookies are a great option for a nutritious dog treat.
6. Halo Healthsome Holistic Grain Free Dog Treats– As well as being delicious in ‘peanut ‘n’ pumpkin’ flavour, Halo Healthsome donates a bowl of cat or dog food to animal shelters with every purchase. A great way to get your pooch pal nutritious snacks and help others!
10 Recipes for home-made vegan dog treats
Sometimes only home-cookin’ will do; here are some simple recipes to make your own plant-based ethical dog treats.
- PETA’s carrot, date and oatmeal treats: Click here
- PlantStrong Vegan’s 3-ingredient banana dog treats: Click here
- Pumpkin & Peanut Butter 3-ingredient dog treats: Click here
- Banana-flax vegan dog biscuits: Click here
- ‘Serving Realness’ Herby oat dog biscuits: Click here
- Organic peanut butter dog treats: Click here
- Spinach, carrot & zucchini dog treats: Click here
- Sweet potato grain-free dog treats: Click here
- Carrots ‘n’ applesauce dog biscuits: Click here
- Oatmeal Sweet Pea Spinach patties: Click here
So there you have it, animal-loving friends! I hope you enjoy treating your dog companions to some delicious and nutritious plant-based treats.
Check out my guide to vegan Thailand here to see how easy it is to live plant-based in the tropical paradise!