Hi everyone- just an update on the never ending nightmare:
(We have written several posts about the accident & Eira’s journey here, click > here < to see them all. )
– We just had a ‘severe’ earthquake in Bali, the centre was on Lombok island and was 7 on the Richter scale. It was very scary, a lot of shaking and pool water spilling out, and people running and shouting in the street.
EDIT: 82 people are confirmed dead and there is extensive damage. Please click here to see why I cannot reply to messages about the earthquake due to my daughter’s serious injury last week.
To be honest I dealt with it in a crap way and probably didn’t help keep the kids calm. When a tsunami warning was issued afterwards I almost lost the plot, living in pure fear for a week is shredding any resources but I eventually got it together enough to reassure the kids that we are ok and that we’d keep them safe. I used to believe myself when I said that and knowing that actually anything can happen no matter how much you try to protect them, is horrendous. There is now no tsunami warning, another earthquake is apparently predicted for around 1am but who knows. We’ve taught the kids what to do in an earthquake and Patrick and I are sleeping with the kids tonight so we can look after them should it happen.
– Eira and Esmae are at the end of their tether with all that’s happened and after the earthquake cried and begged us to take them back to England. I’m not remotely surprised after all they’ve been through and we can’t wait to get them back to the UK, when Eira is ok to fly. Tonight I genuinely raised the option of getting a boat to Singapore and driving from there to the UK, but that would have enough problems of its own.
– we have spoke to a neurologist in South Africa today who confirmed Eira still has air in her brain and is not fit to fly. She also said that it is essential we get hold of a paediatric neurologist, not a general neurologist, as soon as we can so if anyone knows a paediatric neurologist who will speak to us please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Eira is doing well, and being exceptionally patient considering she hasn’t been allowed outside of her room or apartment for seven days. Tomorrow if we feel she is up to it we will take her across the road to the little corner shop and back as her first outing. We have got her sunglasses and ear protectors to help with the light and sound sensitivity. She has been reacting strongly to very tiny noises like the fridge humming and we are trying to keep stimulation to an absolute minimum while balancing the fact that she is getting upset at missing out on going out with Esmae and Elfie. We’ve been advised by a neuro occupational therapist that she shouldn’t have screens or music, or anything that really uses her brain too much.
Thank you to everyone who sent contacts and advice, prayers and love, and to those who donated to the account that our friend Vicki set up to try and get us out of here to better medical care for Eira as soon as possible. I can’t remember if I said in a previous post but I had just started work for the hotel where Eira had her accident, and so we are also facing the stress of the income situation as well as everything else, until we can get back to the UK and get employment.
I am putting the link here only because I’ve already been messaged by people asking if there is a way people can help, so if you feel you want to, thank you.
I will update about Eira’s appointment tomorrow as well as any earthquake changes.