NB: All of our updates on Eira’s accident and recovery can be found > here <
We have been very busy the last couple of days so apologies for not updating. I had to do some work and then met up with a friend and took Esmae for a date- it’s the first time I’ve got out since the accident and although I felt horrible about leaving Eira, getting some sunshine and just having a bit of normality was really good.
Patrick’s been very busy talking to medical people and insurance and applying for jobs for when we’re back in the UK- the issues with the time difference and bad phone signal are a pain so it makes things slower, but it’s getting done.
The earthquakes are occurring very regularly here and, to be honest, shredding my last nerve. Patrick is coping very well with them and the kids know exactly what to do and left the house even before he’d said anything yesterday. Every time we hear the rattling my stomach drops, there is no way of telling how big or small they are going to be and the thought of anything going wrong while Eira isn’t well is obviously horrible. As well as the bigger ones there are frequent aftershocks and it’s got to the point where even when it’s not shaking I’m getting dizzy and thinking it is. Esmae is now taking the earthquakes in her stride as she’s realised there have been several without her getting hurt so they are less scary to her.
Eira is just about holding it together during the shakes but when I got back from doing some work (our WiFi is rubbish so I have to go down the road to work) she broke down and sobbed that she was terrified and wanted to go to England. Overall we are at much less risk of a big disaster than Lombok, the infrastructure here is far better and even compared to Kuta down the road, Sanur where we are held up very well with no road damage etc.
After speaking to several neurosurgeons the consensus seems to be that the longer we wait to fly, the safer it is for Eira. We are torn between wanting to leave Bali a) to get better care for her with regards to her ears & nerve medication, and b) to get away from the earthquakes, and then leaving it as long as possible to ensure the risk to her is absolutely minimal. We think that our most likely course of action at this point is to come back on our scheduled flights mid-September. This would be six weeks after the accident and we have to wait a few weeks before the hospital will re-scan her anyway so we can see if the air in her brain has gone. We are not decided 100% on this and if the earthquakes change to a concerning degree we will have to rethink again.
We have a lot to change with regards to our flights- Eira will cope better in a bed so we are trying to arrange seats for her and either Patrick or I in an upgraded cabin. Our plan was to get to have a whirlwind tour of Singapore on the way home, as we land from Bali in Singapore at 9am and leave for the UK the next day at 9am. We had planned to do a couple of bus tours of the city- one morning and one evening- and sleep in one of the sleeping sections at Changi airport before our flight, but we will now be getting a hotel at Changi airport so we can be in a clean environment, relax properly and sleep before the next flight. We thought about putting our flights closer together to get home quicker but because of the pressure of the flights we think the break will be good to decompress before the next one.
Day to day Eira is doing really well, it is very up and down. On Wednesday she woke up so, so sad and drew lots of pictures of crying faces. It’s heartbreaking not being able to make things better for her, and there have been some changes in her, like her likes and dislikes, that weren’t there before, which is even more heartbreaking. We hope this is just part of the healing process but yesterday and the day before I was pretty distraught as it feels like you’re grieving for someone even though they’re right in front of you- and then feeling guilty because I know how lucky we are to have her here at all.
Thank you everyone for your continued support and messages; she has been the most supported and prayed-about little girl and we are very, very thankful for you all.