Today Eira woke up saying that her head really hurt and seeming lethargic- we took her temperature and she had a fever so Patrick took her straight to hospital and I messaged Mum to please come back home from yoga ASAP so I could go to the hospital too.
We had been told that a) we were supposed to prevent any infection as her brain was susceptible because of her injury, and b) there was a chance of one of the bleeds in her brain being very slow and that around two weeks after the incident was when we could start to relax about that. Today is two weeks and two days after so we don’t know what to think.
Mum came back, I went to the hospital and met Patrick and Eira in with a doctor who examined Eira, looked at her previous CT scan and medical notes, and told us that she wanted to do another CT scan to compare if there had been any changes. Her concern was that there may have been a slow bleed that was showing itself now, which is what we had been warned about after the accident. She also increased one of Eira’s medications to reduce fever.
We were told we’d need to stay in for at least 3 days for them to observe Eira and that a neurosurgeon would come and consult on her condition and any treatment. We were shown to a ward which was grim- noisy with flies and mosquitoes, as our insurance are a) exceptionally slow at sorting anything out because their “agent” here in Bali keeps seemingly turning their phone off and b) also didn’t want to pay for a private room. We sorted out a private room ourselves- a woman with a hacking cough was next to Eira’s bed and we aren’t taking any chances of infection. A ward with bright lights and telephone calls and patients coming in and out is no place for a sick, noise and light sensitive kid to be.
It is now 6pm and the room is still not ready so we are still in the ward, having been here since 10am. The doctor has refused to give Eira antibiotics despite us explaining that she must not get an infection, and Eira is sleeping a lot again which she hasn’t done since she left hospital after the first stay.
She had a CT scan and we are waiting for the results and for the neurosurgeon to look at them.
We thought we would be able to hold out for Eira to heal more before taking a flight but we are so concerned about the care here and will have to see if her scan results show that it is an option to go back to the UK soon.